Sunday, May 22, 2011

Reality Check: special post-apocalypse UPDATE!

Okay so I will start this post by saying I am not a religious person nor do I care if you are, your religion is your business. I do feel that blind faith in anything is a core component of ignorance, and elitism is childish. Elitism meaning that you are god's chosen flock and there fore are better than anyone else, you are of a master race of supermen who will save the world and genetic impurities must be removed to keep the race pure, or coming from a wealthy family makes you better than someone less well off and the poor being human garbage, you can treat them as such. No, that is all bad and so is anything which resembles it.
With that being said, some one on march 16 into 17 (if I'm not mistaken) put this business card size pamphlet in the public restroom at my job. I have read the new testament so that could have a discussion about it with some Jehova's witnesses, and I will admit it was tough to sit through, judging it as a book I thought it was terrible. Though I don't recall May 21, 2011 being Judgement day,  it's probably not risky for organized religion to do this, largely because they have blind faith on their side, if nothing happens you just need to have faith or you just don't understand the ways of god. Logical thought and the scientific method are good tools of  thought based on questions, consistent results, and understanding what the information means. Creative problem solving is an important tool for surviving, and communication with written records allows us to progress further. But all this requires solving tough problems and not surrendering to something much easier, stopping somewhere and just accepting without question what is presented in front of you. (Intelligent questions of course) When you stop trying and give up this is what you get.

I am for equal rights for everyone of any race, gender, or sexual orientation. There is a lot of anti-homosexuality, anti-women, racism, and elitism in that sick book. I don't go door to door to tell you, that you will not find all the answers but a good place to start is the library, so don't tell me all the answers to all my questions are found in the bible, at my home or leave pamphlets at my job. I am not trying to offend anyone, but the sun has begun to rise in this post bible apocalypse and my nieghbors still make too much noise. So with cooperation and mutual respect, empathy too, I end my post. I hope to humanity's credit these traits rise to the top of all our methods of organization, Because I can do without blind faith.

3 comments:

  1. Hey man, thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting!

    I'm a Christian, but I absolutely do not believe in pushing my opinions on others. I'm with you - it's totally tacky and in poor taste.

    Once a Jehovah's Witness came to my door. I took one of their pamphlets and flipped through it (out of curiosity only before I trashed it) and there was a picture of Jesus standing with a polarbear. I just laughed; like, am I supposed to take this seriously?!

    Good post, man. Everyone should be respectful of others' beliefs if they want respect for theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice comment on my blog! I found your post to be interesting. I too am a Christian and I totally agree that respect and love for people and their beliefs is of upmost importance. I am actually very disheartened that all Christians have been lumped into this Apocolyptic craze that was started by one man (I'm not saying this is what you are implying). The majority of Christians did not for one second believe into this bogus claim at all. I feel as though Christians have been highly misrepresented with this. There is no specific date listed in scripture or anyway to uncover a hidden date for "the end of the world" and that's what Christians believe. I also would like say that I do not have blind faith, my faith is based on fact and reason just like you described above. I don't believe in God just because or because someone told me so. I have had many questions about God that have resulted in intelligent answers about Him. I am so sorry that you have had encounters with people claiming to be Christian and yet behaving totally opposite - whether that be judgmental, disrespectful, pushy, etc or have made you feel "less than". If you would ever like to discuss the bible, christianity, or God in general I would love to and will leave my email at the bottom for you. Not because I want to push an agenda or a belief upon you but so that you can come to a better understanding of what Christians believe. Thanks so much for a great discussion starter, I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

    daydreamdesigns (at) ymail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's raining a little today... perhaps the end of the world is a few days late? I wonder what will be the next date for the ultimate destruction. Oh yes, 2012... Well, only one more year left, I guess we should all quit our jobs and spend all the money before that. What is wrong with people anyway?

    I was actually worried there will be terrorist acts by those crazies trying to prove that it really is the end of the world.

    Apocalypses

    ReplyDelete